Monday, March 25, 2013

The Greatest Joy in Life

Wow, what a week! I LOVE being a missionary. I didn't even know this much joy in life was possible. I love, lov,e love it. Every day I learn something new but this week I learned a lot. 1) The importance of prayer. What a wonderful and powerful tool it is. Prayer is a missionary's best friend. As I prayed more frequently each day I could feel the Savior's love stronger and more present and everything worked out better. 

ANDREA CAME TO CHURCH!!! I wanted to frolic around the church I was so happy! She came and brought her son Ismael (who is 8). She loved Sacrament and gospel principles. She knew all the answers in class and loved reading and participating. He also really enjoyed primary! We are going to try to have her finalize a day for baptism this week. Then she will be firm!! :) Sister Lewis, Mission President's wife, came out on Thursday night. Sister Lewis, Hermana White and I and we were able to teach Andrea. It was such a powerful lesson even though Sis. Lewis didn't understand the Spanish. We talked about living prophets and got Andrea excited for conference. We had Sis. Lewis testify of what a prophet has meant in her life and then we translated. Sis. Lewis said that she didn't understand a lot but she knew the spirit was present. Then she watched us do a planning session. She said that the mission is blessed to have Hermana White and I in it. It was a fun night to get to know her and feel of her love. It was like you mom, coming out to appointments with us.

I don't think I have told you about Omar yet! He also came to church on Sunday!!! He is actually friends with Hermano Garcia in the ward. He has been trying to get him to come to church for years. He came once like a year ago and said it was nice but really long. He said he had to sneak out and thought "get me out of here, 3 hours is way to much time" haha. He is so cool though. We have been teaching him and his wife a lot and they have 3 little kids. He said that he has been to a lot of churches before but never wanted to go back to any except our church. He came to sacrament and he said it was so uplifting and wants to be a better person. His wife is super catholic but she likes to listen but doesn't want to go to church (ours or theirs) because she is tired. They have been reading from the book of Mormon together though! They invited us over for dinner Tuesday night and we are going to teach them El Plan De Salvacion! He said last week he would be baptized if he knew it was true so I am hoping between church and reading the scriptures we can commit him to a date! He said he even had a dream about Jesus! 

So exchanges in South Sac were fun and interesting. Hermana Novacovich is super nice but way trunky. She goes home in 2 weeks. She also isn't the most obedient missionary so that was awkward but we were able to teach a lot of lessons. And everyone kept telling her that I have better Spanish than her and so I felt bad. We taught a lady named Luz and I was able to testify to her about the love Heavenly Father has for her. I have never felt such a strong love and power as I testified in that moment. I also got to teach the restoration a lot and as I stated Jose Smith's words of the first vision, again I felt this power that I can't describe. It was the spirit leaping out of me testifying and I again was reminded of how true this gospel is. Also we read about the great and abominable church in 1 Nephi 13 with her and she says, "This sounds like its describing the Catholic Church" haha. It was funny. We also taught his Catholic guy Jose all about the Restoration and he was so impressed. He was all "Wow, that is the exact organization as Christ had. Where does your prophet live, etc? he loved it and had lots of questions!

SHAYLA GIBB IS ENGAGED!!!?? I knew this would happen.... well I am really happy for her and Stephen and a little upset they don't want to wait for me to get back. June 7th. That is soon! You better send me her invitation. Tell her congrats and good luck! I am so happy for them both! I will be expecting a letter with a sincere disappointment that I wont be able to attend Tiff said Kait Manscill is also engaged! Crazy. Everyone will be married when I get back, cant wait! haha.

We visited the mission office this week to get some supplies and it was so fun. I felt like a celebrity. Everyone is so nice and wants to hear all about the work! President Lewis was also there so we can to talk to him for a few minutes. 

I decided that tracting is like Hide and Seek. All the Latino's are hiding in these White Areas and we have to go find them! I had my first days of tracting in the rain. Not gonna lie, it wasn't as much fun haha. 

We have an investigator Ana who is awesome! We were able to give her a recorrido de la capilla and she loved it! The missionaries have been teaching her for over a year now. She was a drop but we decided to go visit. We have had some great lessons with her and she is actually reading the Book of Mormon and praying and doing her compromisos so we added her! She is progressing but slowly. She might just be ready now!

That is so fun that Sister Holt is back! I cant wait to hear all about her stories one day! in 2 Nephi 16:10 it says, "Make the heart of this people fat.. and be converted". That is my goal. I want to make every one's heart fat. Filled with the gospel of Jesus Christ. I LOVE being a missionary. Every day I wake up and say a prayer. I ask for help that I can accomplish the Lord's work and I thank my Heavenly Father that I have this amazing opportunity to be his servant and invite others to come unto Christ. Have I told you yet how much I love it? I can;t even describe my joy. My favorite scripture Alma 26:16 sums it up. I love you and I hope you have a great week and a great Easter! Be safe! Estas en mis oracions diariamente!!

The pic is with the Rojas Bustos family! Hermano Bustos is a Recent Convert. We had a noche de Hogar with them monday and they invited us over for dinner Saturday!

Con Amor,
Hermana Thomas


Rojas Bustos Family

No comments:

Post a Comment