Monday, March 11, 2013



Querida Familia!

How is everyone doing? It was another great week out in East Sac! Hopefully, I can remember everything!

We met a Diane Bounds. She is a RM! She got back from the Concepcion, Chile mission last month. She knows Cy!! (Who doesn't though haha). She comes out to appointments with every once in awhile and is so great!

Now let me tell you about the best part of my week. Milagro Wednesday!  BEST DAY EVER! We went to visit a lady named Marta who was listed as a potential from a few weeks ago, and she actually let us in! We were able to talk about the restoration and she seemed pretty interested. She gave us a return appointment for this week so I am excited! 

Then when we had dinner with Hermana Jimenez. It was my turn to share the spiritual thought. I was getting ready to share the scripture that I had prepared but I had a feeling to do a different one. I wasn't sure why, but I just went with what the spirit was telling me. I shared in 1 Nephi 19:23 about likening the scriptures unto us. I asked her how she does that in her life after she reads. She then told us that she can't really read very well because the writing in the Book of Mormon is so small so she hasn't been able to read the Book of Mormon for years now! She has had people just read to her. I am so grateful I listened to the prompting of the spirit so we could help her! We went and brought her one of those huge ones so she can read (kinda like the one's you and dad have you use when you don't want to wear your glasses haha). She was so grateful and excited. 

Now, are you ready for the best part of the day? We went over to teach Andrea about the doctrine of Christ. The lesson was going so well and the spirit was so strong, I started shaking like crazy and then extended my first baptismal invite. Andrea said YES!! It was the greatest feeling in the world. She said it is something she wants to do. She knows that we are representatives of Jesus Christ. We haven't committed her to a date yet because she said she still wants to learn a lot more and still needs to come to church 3 times, but hopefully we will be able to do that this week. It seriously was amazing. Definitely a "The District 3" moment and we were able to complete all of our Goals Wednesday. Wow, do I love the mission.

Some random things: There are SO many squirrels here! And I think they are flying ones because about 90% of the time I see them in the air. Oh, everyone thinks we are Jehovah's witnesses at first. There are a lot around here and they go out all day on Saturday's. Don't worry, they soon notice we are LDS since we are two white girls speaking Spanish haha. Everyone is so impressed if you can speak Spanish and you aren't Latino haha. We ran into like 3 people this week that were baptized into our church when they were in their 20-30's but then "found another way". It is so sad because all they want to do is argue or fight. All we can do is invite them to read the book of Mormon and come to church again.

We teach English classes every Friday night for the members in the ward and investigators. It is so fun and I learn some stuff too! haha. Let's just say I'm better at Spanish.

Food this week. Well I tried my first Chicharones y papa's con chile y limon. I LOVED it! Who would have thought that Hermana Thomas now LOVES chile y limon and comida picante? Tiff would be so proud haha. We also went over to Hermana Jiminez's house for dinner one night and she has a chicken in her front room. Kept in this little cage for like a cat. Gotta love it. Hermana Pallares also made us pupusas one night. They are so good! We also have mole every once in awhile. It was good and has this chocolate sauce stuff mixed in. I am loving this spicy Mexican food. I even eat like peppers and stuff now. Oh I also had cactus salad. It was pretty good! No more picky Hermana Thomas!

We found some potentials last week and added 4 new investigators so hopefully we will have a successful week! I love and miss you all so much but I truly am the happiest I have ever been. Missionary work is definitely tough, pero vale la pena!

Con el amor de todo mi corazon,
Hermana Thomas



Arriving in Sacramento, CA.  Mission President and Sister Lewis.

                        Trying new foods. Cactus salad and Chicharones!                                 



No comments:

Post a Comment