Monday, July 29, 2013

Delta Breeze


Can I just tell you how much I love my "life as a missionary!" I seriously am in heaven. Everyday gets better and better. You bet it's hard and you get really tired, but there is joy that you can't even imagine! I so wish I could describe it eloquently in words but that would be impossible. My cup runneth over. Let me tell you about one of the best weeks ever! Ready?

So did you know that prayer is one of the greatest tools we have? I thought I knew and understood that before my mission but boy, I didn't even understand. Hermana Skidmore and I have had the wonderful opportunity to hear some of the most humble, sincere and powerful prayers I have EVER heard in my life. Lets start with Stefani. We went to these apartments to visit some potentials and started talking to this little 4 year old Stefani. She told us where all the Spanish people live (bonus!) and would follow us around to each door and just stand there haha. When it was time to go we asked her if we could say a prayer with her. She said o.k. but that she didn't know how. We taught her very simply and then Hermana Skidmore repeated words for her to copy. WOW. The spirit was was soo strong. This overwhelming joy came over me as I realized that this could be her first time talking with her beloved Heavenly Father. If I felt so much joy for her to talk with him, how do you think Heavenly Father feels? We have had the opportunity to talk to a lot of children and young teens lately and I KNOW Heavenly Father loves them so much. Each person has so much worth and potential and some don't even know it. We also had a little lesson on prayer and then prayed with Ana's sister Roxanne. Wow. The spirit was so strong and she sincerely pleaded with the Lord for help. It was a perfect prayer and she was so nervous. I LOVE HELPING GOD'S CHILDREN REALIZE THAT THERE FATHER IN HEAVEN WANTS TO HEAR FROM THEM. 

Let me tell you a story that you will LOVE. So we met this kid named Jose. He is about 15 years old. We gave him a Book of Mormon and told him to read it. A few days later he sends a text saying, "Hey are you Sisters around? I need helping with a decision". We both just froze. What could it be!? So we gave him a call and he was super weird on the phone and just really wanted us to come over and said he only had until 1. So we left our lunch and drove over. A million things were racing through my mind! Was he o.k? Family problems? So we said a prayer, got out of the car and headed up to his apartment. He came out and we all talked outside and he said, "I really need your help with a decision. I don't know what to do...There are these 2 girls. I don't know which one to choose. I like them both so much." WHAT!? You called us over for girl advice? hahahahahaha. Don't worry I didn't laugh in front of him but I smiled big. So being the sister missionaries we are, we told him to pray about it and read his scriptures. pretty great huh? haha. Probably not the answer he wanted but that's o.k! I think about the situation and it is so funny to me, yet it makes so much sense. He had only met us once but KNEW he could trust us. Why? Because we are representatives of Jesus Christ and with that comes trust. You wouldn't believe the things people tell us after meeting us for only a few minutes. People know they can trust us.

Hermana Barerra moved Juan Carlos' baptism to August 24th so the whole family can be there (all the Catholics! yay! :)  So we are still just finishing up plans for that. We were able to read with him in the Book of Mormon in English and Spanish and it was a really special experience. We picked up Leticia again (from back in April)! We were able to see her and guess what, she has been working pretty much every day with no day off. We taught her the Gospel of Jesus Christ and invited her to be baptized and she is sooo excited. She is preparing for the end of August. She says she knows she needs it and wants to feed her spirit. She was even talking about quitting her job if that's what it takes so she can come to church every Sunday. She is so great. So excited for her.

We finally got the Aleman's (the less active family with the cute girls) to go to church!! Their parents wouldn't take them, it's so hard. Every time we go over the girls beg and cry because they want to go to church so bad but Hermano y Hermana don't do anything about it. So Ana Mata (the greatest new convert ever!!) drove the church taxi and piled them in. The girls LOVED primary and had so much fun. They really love learning about the gospel and want to be baptized. We are hoping the parents will see this desire and become reactivate in the church! I love those girls so so much. 

Elder Austin went home this week, Elder Branchini is now are new Zone Leader and Elder La Duke is our new District Leader. Lots of fun exciting changes. We have the best district ever! This is a pic of our last District Meeting before Elder Austin went home. Such a fun group!

Sister Schow always tells us about the Delta Breeze at least once a day haha. It is so hot but sometimes there is a nice breeze and I guess its called the "Delta Breeze." There is this big long story about it with history of same place or lake called Delta. I should have listened better haha, but because of it, we are surviving in this heat :) Can I just tell you how blessed I feel to live with Sister Schow? Her spirit and love for the Savior is incredible. One of the most cherished moments of my mission happened with her yesterday. We were able to sit and talk to her after she got home from church yesterday and she shared her favorite scripture with us (Moroni 10:32-33).  It helped her what to do and how to live when she became a widow. These scriptures gave her confidence and feel love.  She told us about old memories and her love for us. We all cried and laughed together. I seriously feel so blessed for my life, I can't ever imagine coming home and not being a full-time missionary. I LOVE BEING A MISSIONARY! I hope you have a great week. I love and miss you all!

Con Amor, 
Hermana Thomas
 The Aleman Family
New East Sacramento District 


No comments:

Post a Comment