Thursday, April 18, 2013

Trainee love!

Wow, what a week! So yes I am training! My new companion is Hermana Sharp! She just turned 20 and is from West Jordan Utah. She is so sweet and we are becoming great friends. She is excited to get to work. This is her first time learning Spanish so she knows un poquito but has a desire to learn. It was funny because on our first day she came out, right before a lesson she says, "So I can understand about everything but I can't speak". She was quiet during the whole lesson and then when we left. When we got outside she said "I didn't understand anything" haha. "Tell me what just happened!" haha. She is cute. 

We taught Omar and he has agreed to be baptized! The 27th of this month will be the date if he comes to church again this week so we are very excited. When we were teaching him the plan of Salvation I had to kneel down to use the table so we could use our picture cut outs. I knelt down and the carpet was wet but I couldn't do anything... come to find out their baby just peed there. So during our whole lesson I just knelt in the baby's pee haha. It was hilarious. Oh well, he agreed to be baptized on that date so it was worth the kneeling on the wet carpet.

WE GOT TO KEEP THE AREA WITH ALL THE INVESTIGATORS!! We live in the same area now in an apartment. It's mainly in East Sac and Carmichael and we got a part of the Elders area also.  Hermana White is training Hermana Cosby and they now have the farther area (Citrus heights, Orangevale, etc with one investigator but I know they are working hard and will make the area blossom with new potentials!)

Andrea is definitely making me worried. She has been listening a little bit to her sister-in-law who is a testigo de Jehova. She is saying she is confused. She feels good in our church but struggles when listens to her sister-in-law talks to her. She also hasn't been trying to stop drinking her coffee through out the week. She loved coming to church and she knows the gospel is true, and that the Book of Mormon is the word of God but she is confused and needs to think about things. Tonight we are having a Noche de Hogar with her and her little boy Ismael and the Rojas Bustos. We are going to talk about the Restoration and hopefully she will understand more about how we are the only true church. Yes there are good people out in other churches and they are have some truth, but La Iglesia De Jesu Cristo De Los Santos De Los Ultimos Dias contains the fullness of the gospel. It will be fun tonight!

So I have truly gained a deeper love for reading from the Book of Mormon daily. Every time I read I thirst for more knowledge.  It truly is the word of God and a powerful missionary tool. Everything we need to know, teach and learn is contained in that book. I love how everything in it truly testifies of Jesus Christ. 

We picked up a new investigator this week named Francisco! He is a searcher! He says that he hasn't seen the Lord in his life a lot because of all this trials and hard times but he wants to! He prayed with us for one of the first time in years and said, "I am willing to do anything to know you and feel of your love". It was one of the most powerful and humble prayers I have ever heard. I am so excited to watch him grow and feel that he is a son of God. I LOVE BEING A MISSIONARY!!! Seriously though, I get to invite people to come unto Christ all day. What could be better?? oh and during our lesson with Francisco his dog was sitting on Hermana Sharp's lap and just peed on her hahaha. True companionship, we both get pee on our skirts in the same week. You've just gotta laugh.

I feel so blessed to teach in Spanish. I truly love the language and am improving so much each day. I can't imagine coming out here to teach without already knowing some Spanish (it would be so hard). My goal is to sound like a "Mexicana" real soon. Especially by the time I get home. Hermana Bustos told us that we could come over to her house during language study and she would make our Spanish perfect. I am excited!

We met some crazy people (like really crazy). Carmen and Ricardo. They are 76 and 88. She said she has been praying for 6 months for someone to come by and teach her about God. She has had 4 heart attacks, is blind in one eye and has osteoporosis.  They are so sweet but crazy! They had all these weird ideas about our church and just grabbed our hands and started praying (and kissed us on the cheek). That was my first prayer circle.... not doing that again haha.  They both LOVE to talk, especially over one another. We taught them the about the restoration and they absolutely loved it. We invited them to be baptized in May and they said yes!! 

The work is truly moving along in our area and we are so blessed. I love you all so much and hope you have a great week! :)

Con amor,

Hermana Thomas



My new companion Sister Sharp

1 comment:

  1. Carmichael is where Cory and I grew up and my parents live in the LaSierra Ward. We all used to be in the East Sacramento Stake, but now my parents are in the Carmiacheal Stake. So what stake is Taylor in? That is so funny!

    ReplyDelete